Communication

While working [at company] as an electronics technician, a routine part of my job was communicating with staff. When tasked with a job to troubleshoot equipment, I would start by speaking to technicians who first discovered and attempted to resolve the technical problem. I had to communicate with them effectively to ensure I obtained critical information. I was an effective communicator as I understood what questions to ask and how to ask them, so as not to make the technicians uncomfortable or resistant to help me. I also understood how to actively listen as to not miss any critical information. As a result, I had to decide certain facts and sometimes probe the technicians for more information. For example, while interviewing a technician, it became clear that he didn’t know how to run the diagnostics software for the equipment properly. I asked some leading questions, which confirmed my suspicion, but never revealed my conclusions to the technician. Appraising a situation and evaluating the potential outcome of the conversation was a crucial skill. I needed to put technicians at ease with good communication skills to successfully do my job and ensure they would be willing to share information with me again in the future. I learned how to communicate effectively with personnel by observing my journeyman while I was an apprentice. Some were better than others at obtaining information and cultivating a good working relationship learned that if you treat people with respect, are willing to look at the problem from their point of view, never talk down to, or criticize their attempts at problem-solving; they’re more likely to share information freely. Fortunately, throughout my apprenticeship, I had the opportunity to work with many seasoned professionals who were exceptional at communicating with others, and these learning experiences were invaluable to me.

In addition to communicating orally with personnel, I also had to keep detailed and organized journals when tasked with a troubleshooting job. These journals served many purposes. They were a record of faults on specific pieces of equipment that I could refer to when presented with a similar problem in the future. They were also an excellent resource for other technicians who may be tasked to take over my job for various reasons, such as if I was taking time off, or pulled from the job to work on a higher priority job.

Keeping a detailed, organized record of each job I was tasked with made it easy to write reports updating my supervisor and the equipment status. Again, I learned from the journeymen I was assigned to work with. I was able to see their journals and was often tasked to keep a journal of my own in which to compare notes upon completion of the job. My journal was organized by categories. I wrote entries according to the piece of equipment I was working on, who equipment belonged to, and the date of the work. I kept notes in bullet form of the fault symptoms, the troubleshooting techniques I used, what replacement part(s) were ordered, and any other relevant information I felt should be included. Keeping an organized journal allowed me to easily make recommendations to personnel on the best way to proceed with the job. My recommendation would often be to order a replacement part. In contrast, other times I recommended a routine maintenance procedure (much like a tune-up), or I would suggest that another trade needed to get involved to help with the job.

Evidence 1.1 is a letter of reference from my supervisor, speaking to my capabilities as an effective communicator. Evidence 1.2 is the job description for an Electronics Technician which states the importance of communicating effectively while working with others.

Good communication skills were also critical while I was the owner and operator of my photography business. I was the first and only point of contact for clients. It was my job to ensure all questions about booking a session were answered effectively. Clients would often ask what they should wear to a session, what time of day would be best, where the session would be located, and so forth. I had to make sure they were fully informed so that the session would go as smoothly as possible. I would do this by sending them an email outlining all pertinent information. In addition, I had to learn how to put my clients at ease during their photography sessions. I wanted my clients to feel comfortable so that I could capture them authentically. I did this by asking them questions and learning about them to develop a relationship with them and relate to them. For example, if there were a shy child, I would ask about their interests and try to engage with them accordingly. Often, simply talking to them about interesting things we saw at our location, such as a flower or the ocean, would be enough to make them feel comfortable and allow them to behave naturally during a session.

I learned how to effectively communicate with clients by observing a fellow
photographer who mentored me. I also learned how to communicate with clients through the online course I took on outdoor natural light (there was a module dedicated to communicating and working with clients) and by speaking to fellow photographers. I truly believe my ability to communicate effectively with clients, in a way that made them feel comfortable, allowed me to capture so many beautifully authentic family moments. Evaluating the dynamics at each session allowed me to create photography that was unique to each client. Evidence 1.3 is a letter I received from a photography client, thanking me for making their family feel comfortable and capturing their family authentically.

Evidence Supporting Communication

1.1 Letter of reference from my supervisor
1.2 Job Description for Electronics Technician
1.3 Letter of reference from a photography client

Teamwork and Leadership

Any successes I had while working would not have been possible without the
successful collaboration of a team of people. There was almost no individual work in the field of electronics, and as a result, I developed tremendous respect for the power of a positive working team relationship.

The complex nature of the work we were tasked to do with lectronic systems
required teamwork at all times. To start, there were several safety hazards that wouldn’t allow for working independently. For example, the risk of electric shock existed when working on electronics under power. At a minimum, two people would always work together to ensure safety. As a result, it was crucial that trust developed within the team, as our lives were literally in our co-worker’s hands at times. Trust was developed over time by working closely with one another. One of my closest and most trusted co-workers was an apprentice at the same time as myself, and this shared experience helped foster and develop a trusting working relationship. [Redacted Section].

If I had to check a test signal on a circuit card, I would have to do so while the system was under power. Another team member would remain with the main control key to the system and ensure that no one could access the controls or operate the equipment while I was checking the signal. We would communicate via radio to ensure safety protocols were always being followed.

In addition to safety reasons, effective teamwork ensured the quickest path to a solution. One knowledgeable technician is good, but two (or more) is better when it comes to troubleshooting. The faults would often be extraordinarily complex, and bouncing ideas off fellow technicians was enormously helpful. The collaboration of multiple technicians allowed for comparisons and sometimes healthy debate on the best path to a solution. One technician may
have seen this fault before, while it’s new to another technician. I effectively contributed to the team I was working on by always understanding it’s dynamic and my role. If I was an apprentice, I knew it was essential to listen to the direction and guidance from the journeymen on the job. When I was a journeyperson, it was my responsibility to guide the less senior team members.

In addition, effective teamwork wasn’t limited to working with other technicians. The systems we worked on were so complex that we often had to work with electricians, mechanics, welders, and other tradespeople to complete a job. Over the years, cultivating a good working relationship with the other trades through respectful communication proved to be as important as understanding the technical aspect of the work. Without successful teamwork, we couldn’t effectively do our jobs. Working as part of these teams was a fantastic opportunity to observe outstanding leadership. Usually, our trade would take the lead on a job that involved a technical fault, and a senior journeyperson would lead our team. Observing how the lead journeyperson
communicated with others, helped when necessary, stepped back when appropriate, and demonstrated a positive working attitude were wonderful leadership lessons. I saw good leaders earn the respect and trust of others, while those who failed to exhibit good leadership also failed to gain the respect of others. Evidence 1.1 is a letter of reference from my supervisor stating that I was a valued member. Evidence 1.2 is the job description for an Electronics Technician, which states the importance of working effectively with others.

As I became a more experienced technician and took on the role of training apprentices, I used the valuable lessons I had learned from great leaders before me to teach and mentor new apprentices. As well, I didn’t participate in, and continue some of the “old school” training methods that felt antiquated and didn’t help foster growth and learning. For example, some of the older journeymen felt that an apprentice’s role was to carry their tools and technical equipment and do as they’re told without the benefit of asking questions and learning from their mentor. I learned early on that this method doesn’t foster learning, and certainly doesn’t earn you respect as a leader and mentor. Because I was fortunate to also have wonderful mentors along the way, I
too wanted to be the type of leader who cares about an apprentice’s education. Respect is reciprocal and can’t be earned without first being given. I also learned that teaching is a valuable tool to help support my growth as a technician. The equipment we worked on was so complex that you quickly realized that learning never ends as there are endless ways for the equipment to fail. At times, I would be learning right alongside my apprentice, but teaching them the proper fault-finding methods and how to handle challenges along the way. For example, while working and encountering a fault, I would walk my apprentice through the procedures step by step. First, my apprentice would join me in speaking to the technicians to learn about the fault. Next, we would test the equipment ourselves to see if we could re-create the fault and
confirm the problem. From there, we would use the fault codes to begin researching the fault in the manuals. This was an excellent opportunity to teach an apprentice how to use and read the technical manuals. It’s not always a straightforward process, as there could be 12 volumes of technical information for one piece of equipment. Next, we would either continue to run diagnostic tests and fault find or if the problem was more straight forward, try and source a replacement part. Throughout the process, I would explain why I was taking each step, answer any questions an apprentice may have, and encourage them to independently come to a solution before offering my thoughts on the issue. Making sure that an apprentice felt their opinion was valued and heard was important to me. Along with gaining technical knowledge, I also wanted the apprentices to gain confidence in their fault-finding abilities.

While working for [company] teamwork was an essential part of my job. When preparing to attend a major conference, I understood that my role was to support the sales personnel to the best of my ability. One of the main objectives of attending a conference was for the sales staff to sell [redacted]. I would fly to the location of the conference one day in advance to set up our booth. This entailed ensuring that all pertinent marketing materials were well displayed in the booth and making sure the technical equipment was set up so that sales staff could demonstrate to prospective clients. When I did my job well, the sales staff could focus on making sales because they had all of the necessary tools at their fingertips. Collaboration between myself and sales staff was vital to the company’s success, and I know my support was valued by sales personnel.

In my personal life, I feel there is no greater role than as a mother and role model to my daughters. As their leader, I’ve always encouraged curiosity and learning, and encouraged my daughters to let their voices be heard and not to let obstacles stand in their way if they’re genuinely passionate about something. I hope my continued pursuit of education will serve to motivate and inspire them to never stop learning, that it’s never too late to change your path and pursue something new if it’s important to you (even when it’s challenging), and that most goals are attainable if you’re willing to put in the hard work and time it will take to achieve them. I want them to see that it’s because of the hard work and dedication my husband and I have for our family that we can live the life we’ve always dreamed of. Evidence 2.1 is artwork that my daughter has made for me, demonstrating how she looks up to me as a role model and leader.

Evidence supporting Teamwork and Leadership:
2.1 Artwork from my daughter

Information Gathering and Organization

During my time as Marketing Manager [with company], I was in charge of researching and organizing logistics for all of the conferences the company would attend. Determining which conferences would best suit the needs of the company required a lot of research. I would consider factors such as: what other vendors would be attending, what market does the conference aim to serve, what is the potential for sales at the conference, who is attending the conference, is there potential for networking with other businesses, is there
potential to learn about new research in the field, did we attend last year and was it worth it, and how much will the conference cost? I would research these factors online and through speaking with representatives from the conferences. I would then organize the information into categories before presenting my boss with a recommendation. Once a decision was made on which conferences to attend for the year, I would examine and plan all of the logistics associated with the conference. For example, for each conference our company was attending, I would arrange and organize the following details. First, I was in charge of booking a booth at each conference. Then, I would work with the art department, sales staff, and management to design marketing materials tailored to our target market at the conference. I would then ensure these materials were printed and organized at least one month before the conference date. I kept a detailed calendar with deadlines for each aspect I just mentioned to ensure everything was done on time.
I always allowed a buffer in case there were delays with things such as print materials. I also liaised with the sales staff to organize their transportation and accommodation at the conference. It was essential to secure accommodation as far in advance as possible, as hotel rooms close to the conference venue could be scarce. Then, again with the help of the sales team and management, we would decide the best forms of advertising to inform clients and prospective clients of our attendance at the conference. Our company would usually attend 3-5 conferences a year, so my organizational skills were critical in ensuring our presence at each conference was well executed and meaningful. Conferences were one of the main sources of sales lead generation, so it was imperative to evaluate the merits of attending each conference and then plan accordingly based on the research.

While working [at company], I was tasked with organizing interviews to hire co-op students for summer placement jobs for all of the trades. All resumes were sent to me, and after reviewing them, I organized interviews at high schools and beyond based on school location and my supervisor’s availability. To ensure my supervisor spent minimal time away to conduct interviews, my goal was to organize an efficient interview schedule over the course of 3 days. I accompanied my supervisor on the interviews and was in charge of all documentation to be brought to the interviews, as well as keeping track of all notes and written documentation taken at the interviews. For example, since we were hiring high-school students, it was important to probe and deduce their interests and strengths during the interview. We were hiring students hoping to entice them to pursue a career in the trades, so compiling an organized list of their interests was helpful to streamline the decision-making process for hiring. We had to decide if we felt they were best suited for a
career as an electrician, mechanic, welder, painter, electronics technician, and so forth. We did this by asking them their general interests, what trade interested them and why, and even assessing their transcripts. After the interviews were conducted, I reviewed our notes (along with the resumes once more), made recommendations, and gave feedback on candidates. This
process went very smoothly, largely due to my organization of all documentation, and we made many successful hires who then went on to join the apprenticeship program. This couldn’t have been done without exceptional organization and analysis of gathered information.

As a photographer and business owner, I researched marketing, pricing, and style demands from clients. I found social media to be an extremely useful
research tool. I had a business page and would often conduct polls and surveys to determine what my clientele was most interested in. I kept track of the results in a word document and added changes each season or year as I gathered more information. For example, I found autumn to be a very busy time of year as a photographer and conducted a survey asking families what type of photography package they’d be most interested in. I offered several packages that varied in session length and quantity of images and would use my survey results to offer promotions and schedule photography sessions. While it may seem like fall lasts for months, as a photographer, there is a very limited window of time to conduct sessions between the popularity of weekend bookings, the weather, and the loss of light as the days get shorter. These surveys were an excellent tool to help understand my clients’ needs, help me to schedule my client’s sessions (which I kept track of in a hand-written calendar), and were also a useful promotional reminder to clients to get their family photos taken. I would also email clients after a session to gather feedback. Questions would include: do you feel the session cost
was reasonable, would you recommend my photography services to a friend, does the style of the photographs reflect your expectations and what we discussed prior to and during the session?

Evidence 3.1 is a survey questionnaire I used to gather information after a session with clients. The information I collected from clients was invaluable to my success, and I made changes according to the feedback I received. I kept soft copies of the surveys and made notes of feedback in the word document mentioned previously. Evaluating feedback allowed me to adapt my business accordingly. For example, when I was working as a photographer, the demand for overly posed and stiff portraits was rapidly declining, and most people were hoping for lifestyle and candid photography. My style and the images I chose to use to market my business reflected these needs.

Evidence supporting Information Gathering and Organization:
3.1 Survey questionnaire

Problem Solving and Decision Making

Throughout all my previous jobs, my ability to problem-solve and make good decisions was paramount. As the marketing manager, I would travel to the conference site one day in advance of the sales team to set up the booth and ensure that all technical equipment was functioning correctly. To successfully sell what the company designed, I was in charge of setting up the technical components so that presentations of could be successfully executed at any time. If any problems arose with the equipment or the power to the booth, I would liaise with technical support from my company, as well as support staff at the conference. For example, the presentations were stored on an external hard drive, and on one occasion, I couldn’t access the information on the hard drive from my laptop. I immediately phoned my company’s IT person and he was able to walk me through the process of re-booting the hard drive. I believe my comfort level with technology helped me stay calm throughout the process. Not only did I learn how to re-boot the hard drive, but I also learned that staying calm during a moment of crisis is crucial to arriving at a solution.

My time spent working as an Electronics Technician relied almost solely on my problem-solving and decision-making abilities. On any given day, I would be asked (as part of a team) to help solve a technical problem with their equipment. My time spent as an apprentice, as well as the training courses I
took for specific equipment, provided me with the tools I needed to help solve these technical problems. These tools were part of a multi-step process that I will outline in an example. When a problem arose, I learned that first, I needed to speak with personnel to ascertain what the problem was. Often, I had to decide if I felt their information was accurate and reliable before proceeding with my troubleshooting process. personnel would not always have the whole picture or would purposely leave out information in fear of being reprimanded by their superiors. I would also take into consideration the level of experience of the technician. Next, I would run through specific troubleshooting procedures that I learned from more experienced
technicians and from my training courses. These procedures always helped narrow an area of focus but would not always lead to an obvious solution. For example, if the diagnostic software indicated that the problem was in a specific area, multiple sources could potentially cause the problem. And quite often, a problem with a piece of equipment could be caused by multiple faults, making the troubleshooting process even more complicated. In the case of multiple faults, I would rely on my training to determine which fault to focus on first before moving on to the next fault. Once I/we had determined the suspected cause of the fault, I would then have to determine how to fix or replace the broken component or part. This wasn’t always a simple process, as some parts were not easily replaceable. I would liaise with my supervisor to recommend the best path forward. My recommendations would vary depending on the specific situation. If, on the other hand, there was no rush for the component, I would try and source it from the database of replacement components. If no replacement part was available, I would then contact the equipment manufacturer to find a suitable solution. Evidence 1.1 is a letter of reference from my supervisor, speaking to my capabilities as a problem-solver and decision-maker. Evidence 1.2 is the job description for an electronics technician which outlines the need for good problem-solving and decision-making skills.

Working under pressure was often a part of my job, and making sound decisions while under pressure requires a level head. [Redacted Section]. Along with my co-workers, we had to efficiently troubleshoot the equipment and make our best recommendation for a solution, I ran the diagnostic tests on the equipment from the main control console, and then used the manuals to determine the most likely cause of the fault. In this case, we felt that the problem was not electrical, but was in fact mechanical, so we called in the mechanical team that services [redacted]. Working alongside the mechanics, we were able to determine the cause of the problem, and replace the faulty part, problem-solving and decision-making are made harder when under pressure, but my training prepared me for these types of situations. While taking the training course, I was assessed repeatedly on my ability to find various faults while being timed and observed by my trainer. This training, along with observing experienced technicians’ fault find under pressure, as well as gaining my own experience over time, prepared me well for circumstances such and these. And, unfortunately, this was not an uncommon predicament to find myself in as the equipment seemed to have a knack for failing In addition to my training, I also took several courses to further my skills as a technician Evidence 4.1 is a list of training courses I attended. These courses also contributed to my capabilities as a problem-solver and decision-maker

As I’ve mentioned previously, part of my job as an Electronics Technician was also to teach and guide apprentices. An apprentice would often accompany me on a job, and I would coach him/her on effective problem-solving practices. If a problem arose during routine maintenance of a piece of equipment, it was an excellent opportunity to guide an apprentice through troubleshooting techniques without the added pressures that comes with a strict deadline. I would teach them to first assess the situation by gathering information then run through the diagnostics tests with the apprentice, and from there, consult the manuals. This was how I learned to troubleshoot effectively, and if you keep a level head and follow the steps accordingly, you will be an effective problem-solver and decision-maker.

While my employment experience has been invaluable, I also problem-solve and make decisions daily as a parent. I have children who frequently present me with problems, and I must weigh the pros and cons of every decision I make regarding their health, safety, and their future. While making decisions on behalf of my children is important, teaching them to problem-solve and make decisions on their own is equally as important. I hope to raise children
who are capable, level-headed, and use good judgment when life throws obstacles in their way. For example, suppose one of my children comes to me with a problem they are facing at school, such as feeling they received an unfair grade on a project. In that case, I encourage them to solve the problem independently. I’m teaching them to analyze problems in order to determine their next step and develop a plan to help lead them toward a resolution. Not only does this build problem-solving and decision-making skills in my children, it also fosters confidence and teaches them that they can tackle more complex problems in the future. These skills are universal and can be applied to all aspects of life.

Evidence supporting Problem-Solving/Decision-Making Abilities:
4.1 Spreadsheet of training courses I completed while working

Numeracy

I’m very confident in my numeracy skills as they were a necessity to effectively perform my job as an electronics technician. I also had to understand and manipulate numerical information as a photographer. When using a Digital Single-lens Reflex (DSLR) camera to photograph my clients, I would have to make quick adjustments to the aperture, ISO, and shutter speed based on the light, the effect I wanted to create, and the speed of my subject. This is called
the exposure triangle, and I learned about it through online tutorials, the photography courses I completed, and learning from other photographers. When I was first experimenting and learning about photography, I took hundreds, if not thousands, of photographs of my children. For example, to understand the exposure triangle, to have my child in focus but achieve a beautifully blurred effect in the background, the aperture must be set low. In order to compensate for a low aperture, the shutter speed and ISO would need to be increased, but not so much so that the quality of the image suffered. These three variables need constant tweaking throughout a photo shoot, with only seconds to make these decisions. In the beginning, more often than not, my photographs wouldn’t turn out as I’d hoped, but this proved to be a valuable learning experience. After analyzing my photographs, I would continue practicing and watching online tutorials to hone my craft. It took over a year of practicing before I gained the confidence and ability to create photographs of families and weddings for a fee.

When photographing weddings, to capture the bride and groom walking down the aisle seconds after saying I do, I would have to ensure that my shutter speed was adjusted accordingly so they would remain sharp and in focus, without the rest of the image appearing grainy. There is only one chance to get the shot right, so a firm understanding of the numerical relationship of the three components of the exposure triangle was crucial. Evidence 5.1 is a photograph I took of a bride and groom seconds after their ceremony and demonstrates my ability to make quick adjustments and calculations of numerical information.

To perform my job as an electronics technician, I had to understand, solve, and implement mathematical problems and solutions. For example, when troubleshooting a piece of equipment, I would often have to look at an electronic signal at a test point using a piece of test equipment called an oscilloscope. An oscilloscope allowed me to view an electrical signal as it varied over time. Time is measured on the x-axis, and voltage is measured on the y-axis. To interpret these two-dimensional signals, I would have to perform calculations. I learned how to use technical equipment, such as an oscilloscope, and make these calculations while at school, and also during my time as an apprentice. For example, I would often need to calculate the frequency of an electrical signal. Frequency is defined as the number of times per second a waveform repeats itself. In order to measure the frequency, I would need to measure the waveform from peak to peak using the horizontal divisions on the display and multiple this number by the time/division to find the signal’s period. The frequency is then calculated by determining the inverse of the signal’s period. If I found that the frequency or period of my signal was not at the appropriate level, I needed to understand how to manipulate various electrical components (for example, adjusting a potentiometer) to obtain the correct frequency/period. I made calculations in order to make adjustments accordingly. I also used the oscilloscope to measure other characteristics of an electrical signal, such as the duty cycle, rise and fall time, and amplitude. Many of these characteristics required calculations or interpreting to understand their meaning and impact on the equipment being tested.

Learning how to interpret data acquired from test equipment was a key part of my job and was applicable in every area that I worked in while employed.
To ensure equipment was operating correctly, I collected data and produced and interpreted graphs and charts with this data. Then we would collect data from the output signal (such as frequency, period, amplitude, etc.) and plot and graph the data. A firm understanding of making calculations based on
this data and interpreting the resulting information was crucial. While collecting data from a system is an important skill, analyzing and deducing potential problems and solutions was the far greater skill. I learned that there isn’t value in information unless I could examine it successfully and make recommendations based on my findings.

Evidence Supporting Numeracy:
5.1 A photograph I took of a very important moment at a wedding ceremony

Creative and Critical Thinking

During high school, my strengths and interests lay in the sciences and mathematics. Analytical and logical thinking appealed to me, which is why I chose a career in electronics. I enjoyed learning how things work and the diagnostic process involved when fault finding. My job was based on the logical, rational collection of data that would lead to evaluations and conclusions. I enjoyed this process, and while often the data would lead
to an obvious solution, there were times when I had to exercise judgment as the data led to an ambiguous result. Under these circumstances, I would consult with fellow technicians, and collectively we would come to the best solution, or in some cases, solutions A, B, and C. Part of this process would sometimes entail questioning the conclusions drawn by fellow technicians. It
was helpful to understand how they arrived at their conclusion. Was there data or information that I missed? Or could I shed light on a missing piece of information for them? Having an open mind and willingness to listen to another technician’s point of view was a strength as a technician, not a weakness. For example, the system is complex and is mainly comprised of the electronics system, the mechanical system, the transmitter, and what we referred to as the environmental system, which amongst other things, was responsible for cooling the electronics system. When fault finding, my training and the diagnostic system led me to an unusual reading at a test point in the circuitry. The logical conclusion may be to replace a component or an entire circuit card, but an experienced technician understands that you must zoom out and look at the big picture. If the cooling system fails and circuitry is overheating, the cause of the fault is in fact the cooling system, not the electronics. These scenarios occurred quite frequently, and in this example, I made the argument to another technician that I felt the cooling system was
causing the fault. At first, we didn’t see eye to eye, but using the technical schematics in the manual, I presented my argument and caused him to change his mind. To further expand on this example, the failing cooling system could damage electronic components if left unchecked. If I were to replace the faulty circuit card, the equipment may function normally for a short period of time but will again eventually fail due to overheating. Fixing a fault, only to have the equipment fail again in short order, forces you to probe further into the analysis of the data. I learned the importance of thinking broadly, collecting as much evidence as possible, and not jumping to conclusions too hastily. All technicians make mistakes. There is great value in these mistakes as they are almost always learning experiences that support future fault-finding efforts. Learning to think critically is a process supported by working with more experienced technicians and asking questions every step of the way. The collaborative learning process involved in my training led me to look at all evidence before coming to a conclusion. Evidence 1.1 is a letter of reference
from my supervisor speaking to the complexity of the work I did with electronics systems. Creative and critical thinking were necessary skills to work on such complex equipment.

My decision to pursue photography as a career may seem like a hard turn from being an electronics technician, but many of the skills I acquired were applicable and transferable to photography. While there is the creative side of photography, there is also a technical side involved with the equipment. With the help of some online tutorials, I taught myself how to use my camera, off-camera flash, and lighting equipment. If there were problems with the equipment, I could rely on my problem solving and troubleshooting abilities that I acquired throughout my years as a technician. For example, I had an in- home studio that I used in the winter months that involved strobe lighting. On one occasion, my strobe lighting failed at the beginning of a session with my clients present. After checking the light itself and determining that it was working, I then checked to see if the trigger could communicate with the strobe light. I had to change communication settings in my camera to allow the trigger to communicate with the strobe light, and I was back up and running. My confidence as a technician, and my years of troubleshooting experience, allowed me to quickly resolve the problem while remaining calm. Evidence 6.1 is an example of a photograph I took using studio lighting.

As I mentioned previously, photography was also a tremendous opportunity to explore my creative side. After all my years of thinking logically and analytically, I found I enjoyed the challenge of creating art that not only I would enjoy, but others as well. Learning about lighting, playing with shadows and angles, and the creative process involved in editing were new challenges and a source of enjoyment for me. I had children at the time and suddenly yearned to express myself in a new way. My children became my subjects, and I practiced on them for hours each day. In the evenings, after they’d gone to bed, I would spend hours editing my photos and learning what I could do with editing software. I learned how to make a sunrise more vibrant, how to make my subjects pop, and most importantly, how to tell a story with my photography. For example, when composing a photograph, I would ask myself: will this photograph invoke emotion, will the viewer wonder what the subject is thinking, will it leave the viewer wondering what happened before or after the photograph was taken, will this photograph represent or speak to a bigger picture? While trying to grow my business and my social media presence, I embarked on a photography project where I posted a photo Each photo represented a glimpse into everyday life with children. This forced me to look at seemingly ordinary moments and turn them into extraordinary photographs. I had to think outside of my creative box, again by asking myself the same questions I mentioned above. I was pleasantly surprised by the positive response my photos garnered from friends, family, and new followers of my business. The experiment made me a better photographer as it forced me to find beauty in ordinary situations and flex my creative muscle in a new way. Evidence 6.2 is a sample of photographs from this project.

Evidence Supporting Creative and Critical Thinking:
6.1 An in-studio photograph taken using studio lights
6.2 Sample of photographs from my photography project

Independent Learning and Intellectual Maturity

One of life’s great privileges is learning, I truly believe that. Life has presented me with so many opportunities to learn, most significantly becoming a parent. No one is armed with everything they need to know when they welcome a child into their life. There are countless challenges along the way that require learning. [Redacted section]. Evidence 7.1 is a list of books I’ve read and websites that I’ve visited, researching this topic.

Before photography became a career path, it was a hobby that started after the birth of my daughter. I realized how important it was to document my children’s early years, as they grow and change so quickly. I bought a DSLR camera and read everything I could get my hands on about operating my camera, understanding light, and digital editing. I was sleep-deprived and exhausted but still spent hours a day researching the subject. The more I read and learned, the more I wanted to continue learning. I found my research paid off immensely as my capabilities as a photographer continued to improve. Today, I no longer work as a photographer but continue to read about the subject as it truly interests me. The constant evolution of technology is fascinating, and new learning opportunities continue to arise. Evidence 7.2 is a list of books I’ve read and websites I used to learn about photography.

One of my main objectives is raising children who are understanding and accepting of cultural and religious diversity. We have conversations about race, allyship, sexual orientation, kindness, social responsibilities, and how to be better community members. I’m often blown away by their intellectual maturity regarding these subjects and their inherent understanding of ethical behaviour. Opportunities to learn and have discussions are everywhere. For example, a few years ago, daughters asked why the crosswalk was painted in a rainbow pattern when driving This presented the perfect opportunity to discuss the LGBTQ community. While this wasn’t our first conversation about sexual orientation and acceptance, it was the ideal time to revisit past discussions and further explore the challenges the LGBTQ community faces and what we can do to support their community. I’m open to all questions they may have. If I can’t answer a question, we try and find the answer together through online research, resources from the library, listening to podcasts, or speaking to knowledgeable members of the community.

Another example is the on-going discussions around the black lives matter movement. As a woman who presents as Caucasian, I’ve always considered myself to be “not racist” and have taught my children to behave the same way, but this has been such an eye-opening learning experience. I’ve realized that it’s not enough to simply be “not racist”, and that I need to educate myself and my children on how to be better allies. [Redacted Section]. We discussed how this experience would have been different if her friends had stood up for her and not remained silent, and I encouraged my daughters to always speak up when they see an injustice such as this. Remaining silent is no longer acceptable. If we want actual change to occur, we must use our voices and educate those around us. When my children are grown, I went them to make positive contributions to the community, to help create change, and pass their acceptance on to future generations.

Evidence Supporting Independent Learning & Intellectual Maturity:
7.1 Research materials used to learn about childhood
7.2 Research materials used to learn about photography and digital editing

Applied Knowledge and Skills

Over the course of my professional career, my experience and confidence with technical equipment and software has transferred to each subsequent position I’ve held. Because of my education and training in the field of electronics, I have always been comfortable with technical equipment. After completing my education to become an electronics technician, my first professional job was at [company] in marketing. I realize this profession may seem unrelated to my education. Still, after I graduated from school, I had my sights set on working for and I knew it could take time before a position for an apprenticeship
opened up. I was hired at [company], and the job was a good fit because there was a highly technical component to the work. As I’ve mentioned previously, one of the main aspects of my job was ensuring the technical equipment needed to deliver presentations of my company’s was functioning correctly. I often travelled alone to the sight of a conference and ensured that the technical equipment was working before my co-workers arrived at our destination. If there was a problem with the technical equipment, it was up to me to assess the situation and deduce the cause of the problem. My time at [company] proved to be a good steppingstone to begin my career. There, my work was highly technical, and it was during this time that I truly honed my technical abilities. The main objective of my job was the ability to understand how technical equipment works, how to maintain technical equipment, and how to resolve faults when they occur. I spent close to focusing on this skill set and learned from journeymen technicians who had been in the trade their entire lives. Evidence 1.2 is the job description for an electronics technician and outlines the technical abilities required to succeed at this job.

These skills and abilities transferred to my career as a photographer. A big part of that job was assessing and troubleshooting my equipment when and if there was a problem. I worked independently as a photographer, and as a result, had to troubleshoot and maintain my equipment on my own. I understood how my equipment worked, and if a problem arose, I felt confident researching and fault finding the problem on my own with the aid of camera manuals and online forums. My technical skills continue to benefit me in life, as we live in such a technology-driven time. I’m confident that they’ll benefit me in future endeavours.

For the first few years of my photography career, I used the time to develop my skills in photographing families and children. When I first began, I photographed friends and families for free, to gain experience not only in the actual session but also in photo editing. I learned so much from these sessions, such as how best to pose families, how to work with less than
enthusiastic subjects, and what style of photographs seemed to please my clients the most. As I developed a client base and gained confidence in my work, I found I had many clients who booked repeat sessions with me. One of my regular clients asked me to photograph their upcoming wedding. Photographing weddings was outside of my comfort zone, and my initial
thought was to say no. Weddings had always intimidated me, as you only get one shot to capture what is one of the most memorable days in a person’s life. I didn’t know how I would cope under pressure and was nervous about disappointing my clients, who I’d grown very fond of. But I realized my clients had faith in me and my skills as a photographer, and I should too! Shooting a wedding isn’t terribly different from the work I’d done photographing families. The skills and expertise I’d gained photographing children and families had equipped me to make the leap to photographing weddings. I had the technical skills I needed to operate my photography equipment, I was confident in my ability to not only capture their special moments but do so in a creative and unique way, and my editing skills had developed well. My photographs of the wedding turned out beautifully, and the bride and groom were extremely happy. In fact, the bride’s sister was getting married the following year and asked me to photograph her wedding after seeing the photos. Evidence 8.1 is a photograph from one of the first weddings I shot.
Evidence 8.2 is a reference letter from the bride of the first wedding I shot, thanking me for taking the leap to photograph her wedding.

Evidence Supporting Applied Knowledge and Skills:
Evidence 1.2 Job description for Electronics Technician
Evidence 8.1 A photograph from one of the first weddings I shot
Evidence 8.2 A reference letter